"Renting Trucks and Buses for CDL Test"


Return to Main Page

Frequently Asked Question


 Do I need a CDL?

If you drive a combination of vehicles, that have a manufacture's weight rating weight rating (GVWR or GCWR) over 26,000 lbs, you need a Class "A" CDL.

If you drive a combination vehicle towing a unit over 10,000 GVWR, you need a Class "A" CDL.

If you drive a single vehicle that has a GVWR over 26,000 lbs., you need a Class "B" CDL.

If you drive a vehicle designed to transport 16 or more people, including the driver, you need a Class "C" CDL.

You are exempt if you are driving a recreation vehicle for personal use, military vehicles, emergency vehicles, farm vehicle (not used for hire or drive 150 miles from the farm), local government (used for snow and ice removal).

Click here for a chart on CDL requirements
Do I need to get a CDL Permit? Effective Nov. 1,  2013 everyone is required to have a permit.  
Can you schedule the CDL Drive Test for me? You need to make the appointment for the drive test by calling (405) 425-2196, you will need to coordinate with us so we will have a truck for your test, so call us first. (918) 585-1323
  1. Full legal name as it appears on your drivers license.
  2. Your drivers license number and state.
  3. A phone number where you can be reached.
Do I need a DOT health card before taking the CDL road test? Starting on January 30, 2012, when you:
Apply for a CDL;
Renew a CDL;
Apply for a higher class of CDL;
Apply for a new endorsement on a CDL;
Transfer a CDL from another State

You will be required to self certify to a single type of commercial operation on your driver license application form. Based on that self certification, you may need to provide the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety with a current medical examiner’s certificate and show any variance you may have to obtain or keep your CDL.

For more information or questions call the CDL Help Desk at (405) 425-2020 

How much does a CDL License cost ?
Fees for CDL License to be paid at the Tag Agency

Do you have Class "A and "B" trucks?

Yes, we have both class "A" and "B" truck. These trucks have six (6) speed transmissions, with air brakes. We also have a Class "B" school bus with an automatic transmission, with air brakes. Click here to check out our CDL Rental Trucks and Buses.  

 Will I need an extra driver to bring me to the testing site?

No, our office and trucks are located at CDL testing site in Tulsa. No need to leave your personal vehicle at an out of way location unprotected.

 Can you teach me to drive a truck?

No, we are not a licensed as a truck driving school.   

What is the CDL Drive Test like?

You will be asked to perform a pre-trip inspection including an in cab air break test. You will be asked to perform 3 backing maneuvers 100 ft back, either a drivers side or passenger side offset back, then on of these three backs 90 degree alley dock, or drivers side or passenger side dock (parallel park) the examiner will advise you which you are to perform at test time. Click here to see examples of what is required*

Section 12 of the Oklahoma CDL Manual outlines what you will be scored on the drive test. A repetitive poor performance in any of these areas or a combination of poor performance can cause you to fail, (i.e. not keeping both hands on the wheel, or shifting in intersections), however; most people that do fail are for what are known as automatic failures,* which would be any violation of an Oklahoma Traffic Law, (i.e., speeding, failure to yield, running a stop sign or traffic light) other automatic failures can be for things like driving over a curb or sidewalk, becoming involved in a situation that would could cause an avoidable traffic accident. *

*Sections 11, 12, & 13 of the CDL Manual and Department of Public Safety Rules Title 595 Chapter 11 Subchapter 3 Section 595:3-7, 3-8, 3-9.

What if I fail?

Even though failure do occur from time to time. It is important to understand the CDL Drive Test is not an easy test and is designed to weed out unsafe drivers. Driving for 45 min. a lot can go wrong to even the best driver, look at it as learning experience within itself, try not to make the same mistakes twice, brush up on your defensive and safe driving skills, and practice the part that you failed before returning to re-test.

The examiner will critique your driving at the end of the testing, pass or fail; listen closely as you will need this information if you have to repeat the test.

If you do fail, before you leave the exam site make another appointment and we will reserve a truck for your next drive test. A free re-test is included in the rental of our truck.


What are the examiners like?

All of the examiners are employees of the Department of Public Safety and have attended CDL Training and are CDL licensed. They are some the nicest people we have had a pleasure of knowing. Remember they have a duty to perform in keeping our highways safe.   They have set guidelines to go by, that is governed by state and federal law.  They cannot give you a break or bend the rules for you, this is not an easy test and you should be prepared.  This test is to get a professional drivers license, the examiner will expect you to be able to operate the vehicle at a professional level.  
What are some of the things I can do to get ready for the test? Practice, practice, practice, and more practice. (We do not offer training or rent vehicle for practice)  You will be asked to come in prior to you test and show us you can operate the vehicle safely.  If you have limited or no experience, I strongly suggest attending a professional truck driving school.  This test is to get a professional drivers license, the examiner will expect you to be able to operate the vehicle at a professional level.

Other things you can do are go to www.cdlrental/okcdltest.html to the sections Oklahoma Driving Quiz and Oklahoma Street Sign Game, these can refresh you on Oklahoma Traffic Laws and traffic control signs.
 Can I test for an Oklahoma CDL if I live in another state? No, you must be a resident of Oklahoma.
Do you have a vehicle for my School Bus endorsement? Yes, we have a BuleBird bus with automatic transmission and air brakes.  
Will they give the CDL Drive Test in the rain? Yes, they will give it in the rain and even in light snow. The only time they will not is when they feel the roadway is unsafe. Last year they did not cancel testing due weather. Remember in inclement weather to always drive with you headlights on!  
Is the CDL Testing process about to change?  Yes, due to federal DOT regulations the drive test is going to get a lot more complex with more backing scenarios and a more complex pre-trip inspections. Undoubtedly, this will lead to longer testing times, a rise in the failure rate with a increase in the number of re-test needed, and a increase in practice time needed. Which will undoubtedly lead to a increase in the price we charge. We have strived to keep our prices low, even with the increasing fuel cost.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has proposes to revise the standards for mandatory training requirements for entry-level operators of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) in interstate operations who are required to possess a commercial driver's license (CDL). The proposed rule would not apply to drivers who currently possess a CDL or obtain a CDL before a date 3 years after a final rule goes into effect. Following that date, persons applying for new or upgraded CDLs would be required to successfully complete specified minimum classroom and behind-the-wheel training from an accredited institution or program. The State driver-licensing agency would only issue a CDL if the applicant presented a valid Driver Training Certificate obtained from an accredited institution or program. 

For a full copy of this proposed rule change go to this link:  Proposed Rule Change

Will my CDL still be good when the new the DOT regulations ? Yes, you will be grandfathered in and will not have to re-test.  
How can I obtain a birth

You may obtain an Oklahoma Birth Certificate:  

Monday - Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

Tulsa Health Department 
 James O. Goodwin Health Center
             5051 S. 129th East Ave
             Tulsa, OK

Writing to: Vital Records Service
Oklahoma State Department of Health  
1000 Northeast 10th 
 Oklahoma City, OK 73117 
(405) 271-4040 

Cost $15.00

All other states click here!


If you have other questions please contact us by email at:

or call us at:

(918) 585-1323


Return to CDL Truck Rental main page

   Copyright © 2008 A+ CDL Truck Rental. All Rights Reserved